Recommended Reading on Trauma, Moms, and Children
Ellen Bassuk the founder and president of the National Center for Family Homelessness and the Director of the Center for Social Innovation shared her recommended reading list for anyone who wants to understand trauma and implement a trauma-informed care approach.
- Bassuk, E., Konnath, K., Volk, K. (2007). Understanding traumatic stress in children. Newton, MA: National Center on Family Homelessness. Available at www.familyhomelessness.org
- Guarino, K., Rubin, L., & Bassuk, E. (2007). Trauma in the lives of homeless families. In E. Carll (Ed.), Trauma Psychology: issues in violence, disaster, health, and illness (231-258). Westport: Praeger.
- Guarino, K., Soares, P., Konnath, K., Clervil, R., &Bassuk, E. (2009). Trauma- Informed Organizational Toolkit. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, and the Daniels Fund, the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Available at www.familyhomelessness.org/media/90.pdf
- Prescott, L., Soares, P., Konnath, K., &Bassuk, E. (2008). A Long Journey Home: A Guide for Creating Trauma-Informed Services for Mothers and Children Experiencing Homelessness. Rockville, MD: Center for Mental Health Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration; and the Daniels Fund; National Child Traumatic Stress Network; and the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Available at www.homeless.samhsa.gov
- Hopper, E., Bassuk, E. & Olivet, J. (2010). Shelter from the storm: Trauma-informed care in homelessness service settings. The Open Health Services and Policy Journal, 3, 80-100. Available at www.homeless.samhsa.gov/ResourceFiles/cenfdthy.pdf
- Volk, K., Guarino, K., Grandin, M., &Clervil, R. What About You? A Workbook for Those Who Work with Others. Needham, MA: The National Center on Family Homelessness. Available at http://www.familyhomelessness.org/resources.php?p=sm
- Cook, A., Spinazzola, J., Ford, J., Lanktree, C., Blaustein, M., Cloitre, M. et al. (2005). Complex trauma in children and adolescents. Psychiatric Annals, 35(5), 390 – 398.
- Dube, S. R., Felitti, V. J., Dong, M., Giles, W. H., &Anda, R. F. (2003). The impact of adverse childhood experiences on health problems: Evidence from four birth cohorts dating back to 1900. Preventive Medicine, 37(3), 268-277.
Read more on this important topic: