Do you want to help open doors across America for people experiencing homelessness? Follow these three simple steps and encourage others to do the same.
- Stay Informed
- Educate and Advocate
The first step is to stay informed:
- Download and read Opening Doors: Federal Strategic Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness online.
- Explore the USICH Solutions Database to learn what really works to prevent and end homelessness.
- Read An End to Chronic Homelessness in 2016.
- Study this blog series, titled, A Message to Continuum of Care & Ten-Year Plan Leaders
The next step is to educate and advocate wherever possible.
Educate the public through local community/faith based organizations, partner with local government leaders to renew their commitment in ending homelessness, and promote volunteerism and giving to fuel the work that needs to be done.
Advocate by letting your local and state officials know how important this issue is to you and value of aligning state and local efforts with the federal plan to end homelessness.
Here are some links to help.
- Provide these free resources to individuals in crisis.
- Use the State Homelessness Resource Map to educate about the magnitude of the homelessness problem in your area, connect with USICH regional coordinators and learn how to contact local homelessness prevention leaders.
- Equip your local leaders with these Tools for Local Action.
- Use your voice on social media. Share our newsletters, posts, tweets, and videos to inform others.
The final step is to connect with Our Partners. Finishing the job of ending homelessness in America requires the collaboration of many organizations and individuals. These are a few of our partners. Contact them to find out how to get involved in your local community.