Section 811 Housing for Persons with Disabilities

The Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities Program provides capital advances to nonprofit organizations for the development of independent living projects and group homes for very low-income persons with disabilities who are at least 18 years old. The capital advance funds can be used to finance the development of housing through new construction, rehabilitation, or acquisition with or without rehabilitation. In addition to housing, the sponsoring organization must assure that supportive services are identified and available to meet the needs of the residents. The cost of these services is not an allowable expense of the capital advance or project rental assistance contract funds. Project rental assistance contract funds are also provided to cover the difference between the HUD-approved operating costs of the project and the tenants’ contributions for rent.

The program also provides mainstream vouchers to enable disabled individuals and their families to rent units in existing housing. The mainstream vouchers are administered by public housing agencies under the same criteria applicable to vouchers, except that the recipients of assistance must have a disability. Through the provision of affordable housing with the availability of supportive services, persons with disabilities are given the opportunity to live as independently as possible and be integrated into the neighborhood and community. Under the Frank Melville Supportive Housing Investment Act of 2010, new project based rental assistance authority is provided, which allows HUD to delegate award and oversight of Section 811 operating assistance to states.  State housing agencies are required to partner with state Health and Human Services/Medicaid agencies that will be providing appropriate services and supports directly to the residents. This partnership will result in long-term strategies to provide permanent affordable rental housing for extremely low-income persons with disabilities.

Many residents come to Section 811 housing directly from institutions or from living with aged parents, so without the Section 811 program they would become homeless.

View the program website

Eligible Applicants:

Nonprofit organizations with a Section 501(c)(3) tax exemption from the IRS can apply to develop a Section 811 project if they can, among other requirements, submit a resolution that they will provide a minimum capital investment equal to 0.5 percent of the capital advance amount, up to a maximum of $10,000.

Eligible Beneficiaries:

In order to live in Section 811 housing, a household must be very low-income (at or below 50 percent of area median income) and at least one member must be 18 years old or older and have a disability, such as a physical or developmental disability or chronic mental illness.

Funding Mechanism:

Applicants must submit an application for a capital advance, including a Request for Fund Reservation (Form HUD-92016-CA) and other information in response to a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) published in the Federal Register each year. Applications must be submitted to the local HUD field office with jurisdiction over the area where the proposed project will be located.